Scientific Advisory Council
The McCormick Science Institute is led by nutrition scientists and advised by a Scientific Advisory Council (SAC).
The MSI Scientific Advisory Council is governed by the following guiding principles:
- Members of the SAC are appointed for one-year terms with the opportunity to extend upon mutual agreement.
- The primary role of SAC members is to identify areas of research to be considered for funding by MSI.
- SAC members may choose to engage in other activities, including reviewing MSI publications, writing articles or serving as media spokespersons, but are in no way obligated to do so.
- All SAC activities are dedicated to support the mission of MSI. Members have no obligation to support or promote the commercial interests of McCormick & Company, Inc.
- The SAC provides advice and guidance to MSI on which research projects might be appropriate for MSI funding, but has no decision-making authority to commit the MSI to fund any such projects.
- SAC members are permitted to submit proposals and receive funding from MSI in accordance with the policies of their institutions.
- SAC members receive reimbursement for travel and other expenses and/or an honorarium for services provided if permitted to do so by their employers.
- Composition of the SAC is public information and the identity and affiliation of its members is disclosed in MSI publications, the MSI website and other venues as appropriate.
- Any SAC member who may have a conflict of interest must promptly discuss the potential conflict of interest with the Executive Director of MSI. Appropriate actions, which may include abstention, recusation, and resignation from the SAC, will be taken to avoid any conflict between the personal and/or professional interests of a member and the SAC.